Monday, August 9, 2010

What's My Priority?

After reading Jerry’s latest post, I was once again reminded about the importance of priority. We must prioritize everything—including our relationship with God. Read what it says in Matthew 22:34-40:

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered
together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and
saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said
to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your
soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the
second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two
commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”


We need to constantly be asking ourselves, “What’s my priority?” Some people ask themselves this question in the beginning of the school year, on New Year’s day, or maybe when school lets out. That’s about every 4 months! Some people ask themselves much more often than that, but still, it’s not enough. We need to ask ourselves daily. Only by doing so will we keep our relationship with God in check.

If we ask ourselves this question and our response is anything but our relationship with God, then we need to seriously sit down and prioritize our life. Christ needs to be on the very top of our list. Work, school, jobs etc, are great and must be done in any case, but without Christ at the center, we’ll get nowhere. We need to be sure we know where we stand in the different areas of our life.

It’s hard to grow in our relationship with God when we are committed to other things. God doesn’t want to fight for time with us. He’s a jealous God and wants us to come to Him without boundaries or a time limit. If there are any “idols” in our lives, we should really make some radical changes until God is the main focus of our life. Loving God with all our heart, soul, and mind should be our priority. :)

A lot of us have read this passage a lot. We know what it means and what we must do… we just need to learn to obey it and put it into practice. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post Sophie! I have to agree that we all need a priority list. While I was reading your post I thought of this friend I was talking to earlier today, and he was telling me how he felt like we was drifting away from God. The ironic thing is that he just spent a whole summer being a missionary. What was wrong? He was replacing his service to God with his devotional with God each morning. Even though he was giving his time to God, my friend was not spending time with God. Even in this, his time was not spent right. Confusing, I know. But its important to see that even our service to God can get between God and us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true! It is sometimes hard for me to have my devotional with God. I like to go on the computer a lot. I catch myself finding a way to go on the computer in the day, yet it is hard for me to have my devotional with God. This happens because I don't prioritize. I know that if I put my day in order, the most important thing would be my relationship with God and the least important would be the computer, but if I start the day with God , my day will go much better. I've been working on this a lot in the past few months and I've seen the improvement. :)

    ReplyDelete