Sunday, February 20, 2011

When to stand up?

In the academic world it is very common that Christian beliefs are objected, and sometimes mocked. Most of us have heard stories of college students that go to college, and then Bible believing men and women graduate as atheist professionals. This happens even in Bible colleges. Why is it that they were taken away by the false philosophies of the world? What was it that they didn't do? I am sure that they must of done something wrong, and how can we avoid making those mistakes?

I have recently started college and I have had several great conversations with fellow students that used to believe in "church," but now have left "all that." We usually don't have much time to talk, but it is discouraging to see how so many brothers and sisters have abandoned their Christian walk, the college system being the reason. Or maybe a better reason would be the lack of the Christians doing something. College cannot make us deny our faith, but our lack or preparation and action can result in exactly that.

Just the other week my English teacher made the entire class watch a video about an essay. He was showing this video because he wanted to show the class that a good essay is always controversial. The video was on feminism. I personally hate feminism with a passion. It distorts the purpose and beauty for women, and it kills the head figure of men. For twenty minuets a world renowned author read her essay aloud, pouring out her opinion about men, women, and leaders in every sentence. During that time I really felt like standing up, and leaving the class.

I believe that Christian young adults are rejecting their faith because they did not try hard enough to protect it. They didn't learn the arguments that non-believers use to some how rid themselves of the notion of God. They were swept away by the false philosophies of the world because they were not prepared. They were also not prepared to stand up for Christ. A combination of truth and action always goes a long way in the Christian walk. One thing is to know all the answers to the hard questions, but another thing, and perhaps harder to overcome, is to stand up for that beloved truth, and defend it.

There is a lot of material that helps students learn how to defend their faith in the classroom. Books and Videos on everything from the DNA molecule to morals can be found to prove the Bible and God. There is not shortage of truth in Christianity, but there might be a lack of courage. Or better said, there is a lack in properly placed courage. So when is it that Christians are supposed to stand up and openly contradict the professor, or authority for that matter?

I don't want to be rash in my actions. Peter was rash when he cut off the ear of the guard to protect Jesus. I don't want to be passive, Peter was passive when he denied Christ. (Poor Peter) I do want to be like Peter when he was interrogated by the Sanhedrin in Acts 4. He was bold, and spoke truth with no regard to his life or pride. (Yay Peter!)

I need to be like Daniel when he directly broke a law because it was against his convictions. I want to be like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when they stood up for God when they were asked to do something against their faith. I believe that the answer is in those two examples.

As we know, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were in the kings court as servants. Their situation could be compared to a college. They were alone, or maybe with only eachother. Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were surrounded by a culture that was perverted and worshiped many idols.

However, they did not let that culture decide the future of their relationship with Christ. However, they didn't refuse to speak Babylonian language, or refuse to serve a pagan king. They did what they were told, and served the king. But! They served God above all things.

When Daniel was prohibited to pray, he defied authority.

When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were told to bow down and worship a gold image, they defied authority.

I belive that we are called to defy authority when we are prohibited to express our Christian belifes. We cannot be snuffed out, we must shine. Blessed are we if we are persecuted for Christ's sake. Peter did not stop living the Gospel when we was told not too. Forget the Sanhedrin!

Matthew 5:11

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me


Do whats right, come what may.

Maybe it is also important to challenge an authority when they make a statement that is false. A teacher is supposed to instruct his/her pupils in the truth of his/her profession. When a professor makes a statement that is false, he/she is teaching a falsity. If I heard my teacher say that the moon was made out of cheese, I would raise my hand and tell him it was not, and why it was so. If I hear my teacher say a falsity about God, His people, or His nature, I pray that I will not be like Peter, denying Christ, but like Peter before the Sanhedrin, shinning fourth truth into darkness. Oh God give us courage!

When we are told to do something that directly goes against our convictions, we should defy authority. This is more simple to understand, but might be harder to act out. We cannot let this world define what we do or do not do. Christ has already decided that, and He died for it. Let us not succumb to the laws that prohibit the name of Christ being glorified, and the laws that go against our convictions. Keep in mind that this is not rebellion against authority, it is only obeying the ultimate authority, God, before the authorities of man. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego served the king, but not when they were asked to do something that was sinful, or when it against their convictions.

Keep in mind that the point of all this fussing and standing up is not because we want to pick a fight. It is because we want to expose world to the Truth of the Gospel. We must obey God with love.

1 Corinthians 13:1

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angles, but have not love, I have become a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal."


I don't want to be a clanging cymbal, so I need to have love. In fact, it is better that we do nothing if we have not love. Showing love is the whole point of standing up for our faith.

Back to my class. The teacher is showing a video that directly goes against my belief and convictions. I felt as if the choice was up to me. The teacher did not state that the opinion in the video was right or wrong. In fact, he was showing it to prove how an essay should be debatable and controversial. The lady was stating an opinion, and I respect that, regardless if I agree with it or not.

What do you all think; should I have stood up? Should I have stayed sitting?

I love comments!

-Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment