Monday, March 21, 2011

Be a Light...No Matter What!

Have you ever thought of all the opportunities you've had to be a light or simply a friend to someone? I was thinking about it just last night. I was thinking about a girl I met a couple of years ago which was a relatively new Christian. She is a few years older then me and was a very nice friend to me. I knew she was a Christian and wanting to live for Him, but she wasn't totally surrendered to Him. I met her over the summer and that fall, she left to a university far from home. I knew I could have been more of an example to her during the time I had with her, but I wasn't. I just went with the flow and since she was older, naturally, I just wanted to do what she did. I was possibly feeling afraid of what she'd think of me also. Well, she's now at college and I haven't seen her since. I saw her parents about a year ago and they told me she wasn't going in the right path. She was alone, away from home, and didn't have a very stable relationship with Christ. They asked me to write to her, but out of fear of what she'd think of me as a younger girl giving her "spiritual advice" I didn't. Now, I don't know where she's at or how she's doing. She might be fine for all I know, but it still doesn't take away a bit of the guilt that I feel knowing that if I had been braver, I may have been able to influence her and lead her closer to Christ.

Matthew 5:13-16
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how
can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be
thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built
on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a
bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the
house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see
your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Reading over this verse yesterday reminded me of my friend. I know God forgives and He gives us second chances- I mean He already has given me knew opportunities to be a light. It is good to realize the chances we've missed though because it allows us to learn from them. By seeing what we've done wrong, and learning what the Bible says about it, we're able to grow and mature and be ready for the next opportunity. I see the opportunity with that friend as a test. God told me, "Alright, Sophie, here's your chance to be a good friend, yet at the same time, represent me and who I am. Show her what it's like to live a life for Me." The problem is, I didn't pass that test. Now, God took me in and refined me again. He showed me what I did wrong and He taught me how to do better. I learned and He sent me the second test with another friend. This time, I was able to pass the test. It's still a work in progress- I still mess up and lose valuable opportunities- but with His help, I'm trying to represent Him wherever I go. As His ambassador, I should never cease the opportunity to share Him with others who don't know Him, or are new in their relationship with Him. It's a big job, but as His children and with his help and power, God has made us capable of doing it.

Have you wasted an opportunity to be a light to someone? What happened?

Have you succeeded in God's test and been able to influence someone? Was it a blessing?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
~Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I posted about the same verse earlier today! That's really cool. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. At church, we have a new college student who goes to youth and we're trying to minister to her. She's got some issues and is very stubborn about a lot of things, so it can be hard. She's only here for another year or so, and I've been praying about the time she has left here with us. I hope her story turns out different than your friend. Thanks for the post and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sophie for sharing this. I have never really had someone I thought about sharing with taken away from me, but I have missed many oppurtunties because I was fearful and worried what they would think of me to.
    I have ministred to someone, and it definatly was a blessing.

    Thanks again for this post,
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete