Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter- Thankfulness and Traditions

Easter Sunday. Usually a day when people who don't go to church, go to church. On Saturday, an adult cousin of mine asked me if our church held Easter services. I told him yes and that he was welcome to come if he wanted to. It's as if he had to clock in and do his Easter Sunday routine and then he'd be good with God till Christmas rolls around. He has no relationship, just a twice a year commitment.

The truth is that Easter is so much more than that! It's a happy and exciting day for those believers who know exactly what it means. We celebrate the ressurection of our Lord, but it seems to me like sometimes people lose sight of that and the true message seems to get old as they're so involved in egg hunts, parties, and activities. Easter Sunday is so much more than that!

We need to keep the memory of Christ's death and ressurection alive every day of the year-not just on Easter. It's usually on Easter Sunday that people spend most of their prayer time praising God for what He did. That's great; however, we need to cultivate a spirit of thankfulness in our hearts for what He did and thank Him every day of our lives. It's only through the cross and ressurection that we're able to live free from bondage and have eternal life.

Also, as I was speaking to a friend the other day, I realized that she had Easter traditions. Now, they're not like most people's traditions of Easter egg hunts and parties. Instead, her family celebrates a Messianic Passover. She asked me what my traditions were and I honestly couldn't give her an answer. My family doesn't normally do egg hunts anymore (though we did in the past), but we don't do any biblical celebrations either. We just spend the day as a family and spend time throughout the day thanking God for what He did. As my friend was telling me about her traditions, I was wondering why my family didn't have any... So, I've decided to ask you what your traditions are! :)

Do you thank God for His sacrifice every day of the year, or when you remember, or merely on Easter Sunday?

Do you have any Easter traditions?

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!
~Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment