Monday, September 26, 2011

Eyes on The Prize

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the Christian walk. I am sure we all go through that hazy week or two before our birthdays when we start to wonder what on earth are we going to be doing in a few years from now. We never thought of ourselves so old, but now we are here. I am afraid to imagine myself older because I might just wake up one day that age. I guess that as long as we are serving Christ, years can drift by, and we won’t have to worry, because we are spending our time as wisely as we possibly could. However, the Christian life can be crazy! But crazy is so good. So addicting!

I read this last week in my devotional, and I thought it was exiting!

1 Corinthians 4:9-13


For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless. And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat. We have been made as the filth of the world, the off scouring of all things until now.

That sounds really awesome! I know that we are not apostles in the literal meaning, but just imagine the amount of glory that those 12 men saw when they got to heaven! I kind of want that. Imagine the praise they got from Jesus. Just that thought inspires me to keep going. It might sound insane to other people who haven’t been rocked by Jesus. God is awesome! In fact, He is so awesome that we should thank Him when we are persecuted for His name.

Imagine all the issues apostles went through! My pastor made a comparison to a group of leaders this Thursday and said that all the troubles the apostles went through in one week is as much trouble as most pastors in America go through in a year! The Disciples of Jesus were war animals. They didn't stop. They couldn’t stop! How much more should we, who rarely encounter any serious persecution, go crazy for Jesus.

Philippians 3:14

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Perseverance is such a hard thing! To keep treading and going even when there is no spirit inside of us must be one of the hardest thing for Christians to do. Keep going. Don’t stop, and keep your eyes of Jesus, and His beautiful face! Never forget Him, and He will never forget you! God is amazing!

I love any thoughts you might have!

-Jerry

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely loved it! Very encouraging :) It also left me amazed at the thought of the disciples dealing with as many problems in a week as a pastor deals with in a year! Definitely made my problems look microscopic. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete