Monday, August 27, 2012

Looking Back

School started for most people, and I know that for many teens in RIOT it is the start of many trials and temptations. In the summer of 2012 we saw many people dedicate their lives to Christ, which was amazing to witness. However, summer being the spiritual bliss that it was for many of us, school starting again is us falling back to the world that we are dedicated to live against. We are thrown back into the world of immorality, profanity and vanity. This is the start of trials that will last all semester.

Already I have seen some brothers and sisters take steps back to their old life.

For many of us, it's just another year of reciting verses, focusing on Jesus and evangelizing. For others it is a hard time where everything that you wished to rid yourself of, comes back to get you. Inevitably, we sometimes find ourselves looking back. Looking back to what you left behind is a dangerous thing because the body follows the mind.

I found this Psalm 73 to perfectly embody what we sometimes feel as we look back:

"But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; My steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no pangs in their death, But their strength is firm. They are not in trouble as other men, Nor are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride serves as their necklace; Violence covers them like a garment. Their eyes bulge with abundance; They have more than heart could wish." (Psalm 73:2-7 NKJV)

I'll be the fist to admit. My feet almost stumbled because I was envious of the wicked. Envious of how they seem to have what they want. Envious of how they don't worry about their actions. Envious of how they don't care. Envious of their immorality. Envious of their relationships. Envious of their parties. "They have more than what their heart could wish."

Granted, there is a lot that appeals to our flesh in the world. However, without exception, their lifestyle will end in ruin. In this life or the next, they will regret all the evil things they did.

"Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down to destruction. Oh, how they are brought to desolation, as in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors. As a dream when one awakes, So, Lord, when You awake, You shall despise their image." (Psalm 73:18-20 NKJV)

We can take comfort that a life without Jesus as the center is a waste.

The actions of the wicked will chase them, and once we stop focusing on life as a weekend, and start seeing life as a whole, will we see that no party or girlfriend will ever compare to standing before glorious Jesus Christ as he says "well done, my good and faithful servant."

Looking back to the world should compel us forward, not draw us back.

"Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, And afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:23-26 NKJV)

It is Christ that sustains us and fulfills us in those times of hardship, and if you don't make him the focus of your life, you will end up staring at the world behind you. It isn't easy, but Christianity isn't for the faint-hearted.

I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back. Though I may wonder, I still will follow.The world behind me, the cross before me. Though none go with me, still I will follow. No turning back.

1 comment:

  1. "I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back. Though I may wonder, I still will follow.The world behind me, the cross before me. Though none go with me, still I will follow. No turning back." I love this.

    I absolutely agree with you, while at school the world seems to tempts us with immorality while making it seem glamorous, but we must not look back or dwell on that and continue to look forward. Continue to drink from the living water to sustain us. Continue to look at the cross. There is the true abundant life.
    Philippians 3:13-14
    Thank you so much for the reminder and encouragement!! :)

    Laurent

    ReplyDelete