Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peace

Galatians 5:22-23:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."


Hey everyone! Hope you have been enjoying our series so far. This weeks "fruit" is peace.

In the English language 'peace' has several meanings. We think of peace, referring to the opposite of war or conflict. Then we see peace, as in an internal peace. The peace that is being used here is an internal type of peace, and I think also a peace referring to some type of war, spiritually speaking.

Obviously this type of peace only comes from God, and having Christ come into you and change you. Having Christ come in us is like planting a tree, and all trees, if treated in a healthy way, will grow and eventually give fruit. This is the metaphor being used in this verse. We are the trees, God is the gardener and the fruits are the results of the gardener (God) helping us grow.

Peace is fully knowing that God is in charge amiss the storm.

We see Jesus having peace when He was sleeping during the storm. Or when He was being tortured, and ultimately put on the cross. Paul is also an example of Peace when during so many turmoils he didn't choose to go frantic, or panic, but to sing songs of praise to God! Talk about some serious peace and trust!

I want to point out something really quick. When I was younger I used to think that Jesus sleeping in the storm was not peace, but an uncaring attitude. This is not true! Being at peace about an issue doesn't mean not caring about it, but letting God care about it for you. Its about trusting God that He owns the sea and the waves, and that you are right in the palm of His hand.

Philippians 4:7

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Probably many of us have read and heard this verse before. This is Paul talking to all believers and instructing them about everything.

I think its amazing how we won't even understand the peace that is within us! I think that is so amazing. Its like some secret power that we have. :P We Christians need a lot of peace. We don't even live in the world we belong too, and are being persecuted (Not so much in America) all the time defiantly need peace. How great it is to know that God lends us His very own Spirit of peace in times of need!

Peace in our lives should come naturally as our relationship with Christ matures, but if your like me, you often need an extra dose. :-\ When these times come up in my life I simply ask God for what I need, and He always gives it to me.


What are your thoughts on peace, and how God helps us through it?

Is there some situation that you would like to share how God has given you peace at just the right time?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the verse written by Paul. It reminded me of Proverbs 23:4, which says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." What should we guard our hearts with? Peace! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that we've all experienced some of God's peace at one moment or another, but I think there's a point where that peace comes to be truly amazing in our life. You really can't experience the peace that transcends all understanding unless you are going through a difficult time--or at least not up to it's fullest effect!

    hmmm well, this isn't a problem in my personal life, but I know that when my brother was in his accident, I felt peace at some point. My friend was over, and as my parents left to the hospital with my brother, she and I were taking turns reading different Psalms to my sisters while praying. There was a point where I didn't feel urgency and afraid, but a peace that I didn't know where it came from. People were coming over and crying, yet I was over that. I was trusting God was in control and that He had a purpose even in this difficult time for my family... :)

    ReplyDelete