Saturday, January 15, 2011

With minds that are alert...

Well that conference we attended was awesome! It’s a great way to end a year and begin the next one with a refreshed purpose. Everything that Jerry wrote about also impacted me when I heard it. I just want to share a few more things I liked.

Matthew 6:19-21 says:


“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin
destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves
treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do
not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be
also.

Another point that was shared was this one: A disciple perseveres till the end. We’ve all read this passage in Matthew, but when I heard these verses along with the point the speaker was trying to make, I was instantly reminded of the missionary martyr Jim Elliot. I thought about the way that he had a vision for his life, embraced Great Commission as his own, and in obedience to Christ persevered till the end. He wasn’t afraid of persevering till the end or of what his end was. I wish to cultivate this in my life: not being fearful of what my future may be and being totally dedicated to whatever it could be.

The speaker gave this great quote:
“We must have the commitment of a soldier and the discipline of an athlete.”

Once God shows us our callings, we must put this into practice and know that we must persevere till the end at whatever that maybe. As the speaker said: “The finish line is when God gives us our reward in heaven.”

Something else that caught my eye was on the point of being dedicated to the great commission and simply sharing the gospel with everyone.

Jeremiah 1:4-8 says:



The word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to
the nations.” “Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am
too young.” But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go
to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of
them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.

I thought of this verse when the speaker was talking about when we share the gospel. I personally am a little more reserved and shy then most people so I have a hard time sharing the gospel. Not because I don’t want to, but because I stumble and over think things and then begin thinking I can’t do it. I memorized these verses in Jeremiah when I was about 13 and I always recite them before sharing the gospel because they comfort me knowing that God is the one speaking through me. When the speaker said that we are God’s tools and he just uses us to bring Himself further glory, I was encouraged and motivated to share the gospel more in the coming year.

1 Peter 1:13 says:

“…with minds that are alert and fully sober…”

We must have alert minds and seize opportunities to share the gospel when they arise. When we are committed to the Great Commission it’s not hard to share the gospel. That only happens, though, when we believe in it personally.

What’s it like to share the gospel in your school? I’m always curious as to how it is since I’ve always been homeschooled. I’ll have more opportunities now, though, as I’ve started dual enrolling this semester. :)

I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Sophie

1 comment:

  1. Great Post Sophie!

    Like you, I have also been home-schooled for most of my life. :P But God has given me a huge opportunity to share the gospel, and I am still trying to adjust in the new environment and share the gospel more.

    Sharing the gospel at my college is slightly harder than most other places. (in my opinion) Everyone shows up for the class. The class ends and everyone leaves, with very little social interaction. Everyone has something els to do. Breaking that egg shell and getting to talk to someone takes a bit of courage and friendly conversation. This is all no excuse why not to be courageous for Christ. But from my perspective, thats what it's like.

    ReplyDelete