Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Unforgivable Sin?

Hello Readers!

I recently saw a documentary called The God Who Wasn't There. In the film, the author, Brian Fleming, quotes Jesus speaking of the "unforgivable sin." I looked up the verse to read it in context, and what the author pointed out was true.

I began to think over this verse, and figure out what Jesus said. Is it possible that there is something that Jesus will not forgive?

1 John 1:9
New King James Version
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


In this verse Christ forgives ALL of our sins, and cleanses us from it. (Even the unforgivable sin?)

Mark 3:28-30
The Unpardonable Sin

“Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”


Notice verse 30. That sin is unforgivable because that person has claimed that God is everything He is not. Perhaps it is important to note that evil is the absence of God, thus, saying that God is evil is, not only logically impossible, but completely and outspokenly wrong. That is the wrongest wrong, of all wrongs.

At this point, Jesus is talking to His disciples, which are all "Christians." Jesus was explaining that Christians can commit any sin, and still be Christians. I can lie to my parents, and still be saved. I can murder a man, and still be saved. However, I cannot say that the Holy Spirit does not exist, and be saved because that belief is contradictory to my salvation. To say that the Holy Spirit does not exist is the same as saying that Jesus was not God, because Jesus has the Spirit in Him, and Jesus is the Spirit.

Maybe this example will help. I am a member of the math club. I can believe that the sky is green, and still be in the Math Club. I can believe that the moon is made out of cheese, and still be in the Math Club. However, I cannot believe that there is no such thing as math, and be in the Math Club.

In more simple words, the unforgivable sin is a parody. An unbeliever cannot commit the unforgivable sin, because he/she does not fully know who the Holy Spirit is. The only way for one to know who the holy spirit is, is by experiencing or knowing the Holy Spirit. We can do that be having a personal relationship with Christ, or being saved. However, once we are saved, it is impossible for us to truly and genuinely believe that there is not such thing as a Holy Spirit.

I hope this all makes sense, and I would love to hear your thoughts!

-Jerry

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jerry, I have read that verse before and wondered about it, but I feared that perhaps there was an unpardonable sin, and so when I read it worried, so I didnt dig deep and really look at it, I will now check it out for myself. These thoughts make a lot of sense..hmmmmm...

    Blessings,
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow definitely something to think about, super interesting stuff! I never thought too much about that verse before but it makes a lot of sense now, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jerry! (How did u know i struggled with this fear???)

    ReplyDelete