Saturday, August 24, 2013

"Meat-heads" Part 1/2

I am not really too much informed on the slang of society. I didn't go to public school, and that's obviously where people learn all the slang, right?

However, I do know what a 'Meat Head" is. A 'meat head' is the guy who spends unhealthy amounts of time on enhancing his body, and getting "big." He is also interested in self-benefiting relationships with the opposite gender. Usually, this kind of person lacks any sort of meaningful knowledge, and is not interested in pursuing any. He is materialistic, empty, and selfish. Yuck.

I tried the whole gym thing for a while. I am still skinny, so it clearly didn't work out for me.

Oh! And they post photo's of themselves at the gym. Often...

Any names come to mind? [Just kidding(Not really)]

Now, I am not going to point out and call some people "meat-heads" and not others. That would be silly of me. However, I think that the "meat-head" syndrome roams deeper in the hearts of guys than what we give it credit for.

Maybe as you read the description, you thought of your own life, and how utterly different it is from what I was defining. However, what we hate about the "meat-head" is not his exercise, but his obsession with empty and materialistic things. What we hate about the "meat-head" is how he just picks up girls to satisfy himself. What we hate about the "meat-head" is not the info that he knows, but that he is full of stupid info.

Now that we are a little beyond the sleeveless shirts, gym shorts, and protein shakes, let us think a little more. You and me may not be obsessed with getting "toned, big or ripped," but how often do we pursue and give attention to truly empty things?

To name a few potentials: Video games. Friends. Sports. Youtube. Netflix. Movies. Facebook. Texting. Drugs. Working Out.

Even good things, like a career, family and school can grow and become something obsessive when we pursue those things for empty reasons.

Are these influences in our life as useless as the "meat-head" and his 4-hour-a-day gym routine? Maybe. And although I hate generalization, I am pretty sure you can find yourself in them.

I am not going to 'ban' these things from your life. I am not your mommy, and she probably couldn't take those things away from you anyway. However, I trust that you are enough of a "non-meat-head" to realize that our minds naturally tend to focus on the affairs of this life, and are often futile in their very nature.

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 
- Jesus Christ

Those are some strong words from a guy who knew how to pursue what mattered. Christ was living at an entirely different level that the people listening to Him.

Do you want to come after Christ? Keep in mind that it involves losing yourself in Him. Your own interests take a backseat ride when you deny yourself. This isn't a call for the guy pumping iron and blasting dubstep (Sorry, I hate dubstep), or for the guy watching Netflix. We can try and keep our relationship Christ at arms length in some sort of limbo between religion and hypocrisy, but that really isn't following Christ. Christ defines what it is to follow Him, and he conveniently left us really specific instructions.

"But... but what if I gain the world? Fulfill all my dreams? Meet the perfect Girl? Have tons of babies? If I deny myself, there is no way I can do what I want." You might say; and in fact are right in thinking.

But then again, the better question is: "what if you lose your soul?"

-Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment